Friday, February 18, 2011

Problem employee

Last Friday, I had an hours-long discussion with one of my co-irkers.  He and I are friendly enough, although we've had mega drama over the years.  He's got an attitude problem (and truth be told, so do I) but his manifests in extreme unprofessional behaviour.

So over the years, it's been obvious to all and sundry that he's the worst offender in our department on that front.  Except to him.  He had no idea.  On Friday I told him.  He wasn't upset about it, more perplexed.  He spent all of this week kind of avoiding me, but mostly looknig like a deer in headlights when I saw him.

Then today we got yakking again, as we seem to do on Fridays when it's not too busy.  And he was like a little kid in his Sunday best, hair gummed down and folded hands in his lap.  He was downright polite.  Several times, he started to interrupt me (as he does, always) and then stopped.  Looked right at me like said little kid, and looked like he was trying so hard to be good.

Later, the department busybody came around -- a person most people avoid like the plague.  He's historically been *very* rude to her, usually ignoring her outright, but on occasion, telling her to shut up, that sort of thing.  So she came around and he was very polite to her.  It was odd.  So odd.

I can't even describe this in words.  I have never seen behaviour change based on something I said.  Ever.  Never mind change for the better. 

Weird.

No comments: