Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Dropping a deuce

One of the greatest things about communal living is that you lose all inhibitions in a hurry. The bathroom here has about five stalls and it's gender free. So you'll be in one stall doing your business while some guy is brushing his teeth and another guy is "dropping a deuce" (Thanks, Zach, for that incredibly colourful expression!). It's surreal.

I am overusing the word 'surreal', I know. But that is what life is like in Disaster Disneyland over here.

Every single time I was getting dressed in the room this past week, Caleb would walk in just as I was putting on my bra. It got to be hysterically funny. After awhile, you just don't care. We would just laugh about it.

And on New Year's Eve, several of the kids were hooking up in drunken couplings (oh! to be young and frisky!) and one couple wound up in this little hippy bus out front. It's like a VW van with painted handprints all over it and hippy expressions markered on about peace and diversity and justice. When the love bus is a-rockin' don't come a-knockin'! I don't think the couple even knew who the owners were! LOL

I'm finally chatting with Angela!! I hadn't talked to her since I left Hamilton, as she's not on GoogleTalk often. It's so good to catch up with her. I do miss my life back home... I miss my Stanley and my E, but on the whole, I would say that I'm cut out for this kind of nomadic lifestyle in a way that I never knew I was, because I don't think of home often at all. I feel like I've been here forever and this is the only life I've ever known. Days feel like months. People I met six days ago feel like people I've known a lifetime.

Yesterday after the Hobokeners left, Tracey, Jose and I were moping in the room, and Vadim came back wrapped in a blanket and sat and yakked with us. It was so nice to hang with him. We were talking about how the BEST thing about this whole experience is that in our 'other' lives, people discuss projects, they theorize, philosophize, create timelines, plans and ideas. Here, people just GET UP AND DO IT. It's amazing. At one meeting, they announced that they needed eight people to move skids of canned good donations, and eight hands shot up in the air, and those people stood up and started moving cans. There was not a lot of talking about it, no arguing about the fairness of it... it just simply GOT DONE.

We would all do well to learn from that.

Grateful for:
-- Sean and Jose cuddled up over there snoring like cutie pies
-- shopping in the Quarter yesterday and getting some good stuff
-- spending the Hobokener's last day with them
-- this blog
-- embarking on a new adventure!

__

No comments: