I just remembered something that I forgot to blog about when it happened. A snapshot of a NOLA experience...
On my first day delivering lunches to the gutting crews, I went out with a volunteer named Ariel. It was her last day volunteering and it was my first in the Lower Ninth Ward. I remember she had a map with the locations marked where the gutting crews were. I was relying on the GPS. At one point, I deferred to her, as she knew the area, and she told me to turn. I went the wrong way down a one way street. I slammed on the brakes as I'm a bit of a rules-inista and she laughed. She said, 'Look around. It's okay. You don't need to obey traffic signs around here.' She was so earnest and so right. I was in the middle of a freakin' DISASTER ZONE. There was no one living there. There was no traffic. There were no police anywhere to be seen, and if there were, I'm sure they had bigger fish to fry than a Subaru with Ontario plates feeding volunteer crews.
I'd never in my life boldy driven the wrong way down a one way street before.
***
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Heck, even well before Katrina people ignored one way streets. I did numerous times in the quarter, sometimes it's easier to go a block on an empty one-way than to go three blocks around legally :)
Post a Comment